Tour Description - Jamie and Claire Tour
Seven days of following Jamie and Claire's adventures from the first two books of Outlander.
Your guides know both the writing and the Highlands intimately and will take you to the real locations that
Diana writes of,
as well as good facsimilies of those she invented, such as Craig Na Dun.
This tour will immerse readers of the series in 18th century Scotland (and there's plenty for their
If you are interested in a tour based on the Starz TV adaptation, which is a little different, we have that
in our Starz Outlander Tour. We time the two tours to follow one
so you can of course combine both into one longer tour.
Tours start and end in Edinburgh at a convenient meet point.
Tour Information ~ Please read the whole page to the bottom for all tour information
Wednesday May 17th
Tuesday 23rd 2017
Spring in Scotland! Bluebells carpeting the forests, sap rising in the trees. My favourite
season in Scotland.
Wednesday July 5th
Tuesday 11th 2017
Summer in Scotland. Everything is green and lush, even the Highlanders.
Sunday September 3rd
Saturday 9th 2017
The light reflects the deep rusty red heather on the hills. It's all about the heather!
Spring in Scotland! Bluebells and trees coming into leaf.
It's a beautiful time to follow the trail of Claire and Jamie as the bees are humming and the sap is rising.
My favourite season in Scotland.
We visit 12+ Outlander locations. We'll also open you to a host of experiences and activites that will put
a deeper relationship with Scotland, the Highlands and the lifestyle of Claire and James Fraser.
Locations you'll visit
- Ancient Standing Stones that inspire visions of Craigh na Dun
- Wee Chapel like the one where Claire was Handfasted
with Jamie Fraser
- Lallybroch, a "Big Hoosie" most like the
architecture, style & setting
- Castle Leoch as described in the book complete with
- Inverness the real Highland city with its beautiful
River Ness (where we give you a half day of free time)
- Loch Ness by land and boat to search for Claire's
- Culloden Battlefield to pay our respects to the
- Clava Cairns a cleft-stone circle where Diana was
- Cranesmuir* the inspired twin of the village of the
haunt of Geillis Duncan
- An Ardsmuir inspired fortification
- Cottar's Hoosie* A thatched cottar's house and
- The Highlands Waterfalls & woodland rivers, mountains and villages stirring up visions
of Jamie and Claire's two years travelling
* These long visited J&C Tour locations are so Outlander that they were used by Starz.
Experiences you'll have
- To be amidst 18th century Scottish history
- More time spent on foot in the fresh air in the Highlands than in a vehicle
- New! Ancient Highland wilderness / bushcraft skills
- Evening of traditional music, storytelling & locally brewed Ale tasting
- Hiking - aka Hillwalking in beautiful woodlands, hills and countrysides
- Gàidhlig language lessons
- The opportunity to meet genuine Highlanders
- Free time to roam for yourself (Inverness)
- Some planned evenings and some free
- Know Jamie and Claire's homeland deeply for yourself
- Pony trekking in the wilderness is offered (around £40) to give you a closer sense of
the Highlands as Jamie and Claire experienced them.
Note that there are weight and height criteria for pony trekking, which is addressed while booking the
- Wilderness hiking on one morning for more active guests, led by us.
- Culloden Visitor Centre (Culloden battlefield is included in the tour).
The Centre is excellent for interpretation, but some guests prefer to visit just the battlefield, so
this is optional.
- Starz Outlander Tour. This tour is timed to allow guests to stay on and join the
Starz Outlander Tour on the day after (or sometimes before). The J&C Tour and Starz Tour can
be selected at the time when booking.
- Pre & post tour accommodation booking. To make your travels easier, we'll be happy to
book your hotel for the night before the tour begins (your arrival day) and the evening of the day that the
tour completes. This will be at selected Edinburgh hotels next to the meeting point. We do not charge a
booking service fee. You pay your hotel directly.
£1630 per person (dbl / twin sharing)
(Currency exchange rates: www.XE.com)
£1750 per person (single room for solo traveller)
What is included in the tour price?
** Note about accommodation: The cost of the six nights of accommodation is covered in the quoted tour price, however, you
pay this portion of the tour cost directly to your room hosts. In practice, some accommodation comes in at less than the
budget, so your overall tour price may be lower than what is quoted, but never higher.
- A seven day guided itinerary (this usually includes a half day of independent activity)
- Six nights accommodation on the seven day tour **
- Reserving your pre and post tour accommodation (details on FAQ page)
- We provide 2 packed / picnic lunches, weather permitting
- New this year! Highland Wilderness / Bushcraft Skills
- Evening storytellings of Highland Tales with Harp
- All transportation from tour start to completion
- Gàidhlig lessons
- Entrance fees to most sites - includes castle (and boat trip - weather dependent)
- All applicable taxes
What's not included in the tour price?
- Your flight
- 5 lunches / all 6 dinners (about £200 per person for the week based on the average health minded
- Optional extras such as pony trekking, the visitor centre at Culloden (the field visit is not charged)
- Personal costs such as insurance, bar bill, tips etc.
Who are these tour for?
- Obviously, travellers who are Outlander fans, but also their non-reading partners who are interested
in Scotland itself, particularly the Highlands, its architecture, language, history and culture.
- It is for both lads and lasses, solo and accompanied travellers.
- Travellers who want to experience a place on foot more than in a vehicle.
- It is for those brave enough to leave the city and shopping behind and go hiking
through woodlands or over the hills (as Jamie and Claire did).
- For travellers who want someone else to do all the hard work of putting a tour together.
- It is for those who will appreciate a non-smoking tour throughout. Please see FAQ page for non-smoking
- Those wanting to try new foods, learn a bit of Gàidhlig, partake in a dram
of Usige Beatha and be open to new experiences.
In short: Outlandish Spirits.
This is for me!
If you're ready to make a booking, click the button below to begin reserving your place.
A fuller understanding of the booking process, deposits and so on can be found on the Booking page.
Still got questions? They are answered on the FAQ page.
The Jamie and Claire Tour is not affiliated with Diana Gabaldon. Diana doesn't run tours.
We are on her
website though as a recommended tour company.